Saturday, June 11

Summer School

100_6540

I talked a few of my friends into doing a home based summer school program with me and the girls.  We have class each day with our kids and meet a few times a week for group class and field trips. This week's theme was Dairy since June is national dairy month.  We learned all about where milk comes from, made home made ice cream, did tons of cute crafts and topped it all off by visiting a small local dairy farm.  

It was not easy finding  farm to visit.  Fortunately I stumbled across the Joseph Kubena Dairy Farm on a Google search.  I first talked with Mrs. Kubena who started the dairy wth her husband in 1961.  They were retired but we had a nice chat.  She was kind enough to give me her son Joe Jr's number since he now owns the dairy.  Joe Jr. was a little bit surprised when I asked if we could have a tour.  "No one has ever asked to come see my cows before....well maybe once."  But he said we could come on down.... so we did. 

100_6527100_6531100_6525

This farm was the real deal.  Nothing fancy just 90 cows, 24 milk machines, and 1 Joe Jr.

100_6518100_6522100_6520

This kids enjoyed petting the baby cows and even got to see them fed with a bottle.  Biddy was a little cow shy but that was mostly because she was mad that she got cow poop on her shoe.  Things like that happen down on the farm. 

  100_6517100_6529100_6530

100_6534100_6536

Thanks Joe for showing my kids where milk really comes from. 

3 comments:

jewels ghouls said...

Oh My Goodness!!!
your girls have gotten so big!
what a fun plan I hope all is well with you and yours

The Henrich Family said...

way to go Corinne. What a great fieldtrip! Wish I could have joined you

Tiffany said...

I don't know how you do it. Thinking about schoole with Kyler overwhelms me. I know I need to start doing something with him, I just don't have the slightest idea where to start!