Friday, July 31

I Hate this Phase

As a parent I always seem to be discussing my children's unpleasant behavior in terms of phases.... the not sleeping phase, the teething phase, the throwing phase, the picky eating phase, the stubborn phase or the "don't worry it is just a phase" phase. I think I like the term phase because it gives me hope. A phase ends...it morphs into something better...something that is not a phase.

When your child is trapped in a phase you desperately want them to "grow out of the phase" or reach the "next phase". Yet as fate would have it when they finally do grow out of a phase they only grow into a different phase.

A phase is never pleasant. What mother wants an adorable phase or an obedient phase. You never want them to grow out of good behavior. When you start calling good behavior a phase you know things are desperate. The undesirable behavior has taken over and the good behavior has become temporary. Hence "phase" shall remain in my vocabulary to remind myself that the not so nice behavior will end and my children will return to their adorable and obedient selves.

Oh and speaking of phases....

(Lets hope she grows out of it soon:)

7 comments:

The Henrich Family said...

I'm right there with ya Corinne!

Cami said...

I give my kids seven days to work themselves out of a "phase," before I start more aggressive behavioral adjustment. Mostly its for my own peace of mind since these phases are all too prevalent at our kids' ages and I could spend all my waking hours obsessing about them. Good luck with your sweet little food chucker.

Cindy said...

I too hate that phase. :) Only my 2 and a half year old STILL hasn't outgrown it!

Amy said...

Oops-I did it again. "Cindy" is really me. :) My mom was logged in on this computer.

Becky said...

Oh, I wish Amber would grow out of that phase too! Love the posts!

Unknown said...

Cute post. I remember that phase... (see? it really IS a phase, and it'll be gone before you know it).

Tiffany said...

SO TRUE! Kyler's in the hitting phase...it's lasting a bit to long for my liking