Thursday, April 24

Ruby Red Indulgence



Once you become a mom you learn the sad fact that food is no longer something you can keep for yourself. You are constantly giving a bite here and a taste there and if they like what your eating you can guarantee they will take the entire thing. As annoying as this is normally, when you are pregnant it is infuriating. One of the great pleasures of pregnancy is being able to eat whatever you want, whenever you want with absolutely no guilt. The last thing you want to do is SHARE.

I finally found a craving that I could indulge in with no interference from my children: A succulent ruby red grapefruit( only a pregnant women could feel so passionate about a grapefruit!) Jennah took one lick and puckered up with a "yuck". After that reaction Susanna immediately exclaimed " I don't like it". I was thrilled. I can eat a whole ruby red without sharing one juicy bite. Well that is until yesterday when Susanna decided she wanted a taste. I figured no harm she will not like it.... I was wrong. Susanna ate half my Ruby Red (she didn't grasp the concept that grapefruits are only for mommies). There is no indulgence left that is truly mine, unless I convince my children that ice cream is yucky.

4 comments:

The Henrich Family said...

Oh Corinne, I'm sorry to hear about Susanna's love for grapefruit! Amazing, though. I agree with you, mother's rarely have indulgences all of their own. Someone is always wanting to share, or we are giving away. But good thing we have such great kids & husbands to love and share with us, right!?

Missy said...

My sister-in-law once hid under a blanket to eat her yogurt so she wouldn't have to share with her kids! I've been known to hide in the pantry to eat a snack that I don't want to share. :)

BunchesofBradys said...

I hide my sweets from Gabe all the time. I don't even feel guilty doing it because if he gets something he likes...he doesn't share either. The best part is when he catches me in the kitchen eating something. Yesterday he did that and said what are you eating? I replied by saying, "oh, just some food". He said open your mouth mommy let me see. I opened and he saw dark brown all over my teeth. Then he said, mommy can I have some chocolate too? Jeez...kids are smart!

Amberlynn said...

Hi Corrine! Just found you through your big sis.

I LOVE grapefruit... unfortunately, so do the kids I live with. I feel your pain. I really do hate sharing my nummies with my little one. :( Fortunately, I play the forgetful mommy-brain card: I break it in half to share with someone, and absentmindedly eat both halves. Oops! :)