Sunday, December 7

Baby Nathaniel

My heart is breaking for my dear friend Daniel and her sweet little baby boy Nathaniel. Her husband Dillon is a member of our church who has become more active of late and Daniel was baptized two months ago. I had the privilege of having her in my home for lessons and we become fast friends. She works as a CNA and was expecting a baby boy in April. Dillon is training to be a CNA as well. They are a wonderful couple but things are really hard. The day before Daniels baptism Dillon got in a car accident and the vehicle was totaled. Unfortunately they did not have the correct insurance so Daniel began to walk to work every day as they did not have the money to buy a new car. A week before Thanksgiving they woke up to fire alarms and a smoke filled apartment. The balcony outside had caught on fire. Fortunately the fire department got their quick and contained the blaze. The day before Thanksgiving Daniel started to go into labor. They rushed her to the local hospital and the doctors were unable to stop it. They told Daniel that her baby would not survive delivery if he came now. Her only hope was to transfer the UMASS Memorial about an hour away and deliver him there where thy have a NICU. Fortunately Nathaniel waited long enough and they made it to UMASS. He was born alive and the doctors were able make sure he stayed that way. Nathaniel was barley 24 weeks old. He was 1lb 7.6 oz and 12 days later he is still hanging on. The doctors discovered that he had a hole in his intestine so they operated successfully to repair it. I had the opportunity to go to the hospital yesterday to visit Daniel and meet Nathaniel. Because they have no vehicle they have to rely on church members and family to get to and from the hospital. It is heart wrenching for them to have to leave Nathaniel but they can not afford to get a hotel and the hospital can only let them stay there if there is extra room available. I was fortunate to have a few free hours when Burke got home from Alabama to go and pick them up. I can't describe what it was like to see that tiny baby hooked up to so many tubes and wires, his little chest heaving under the stress of every breath. The moment you saw him you could feel how strong his spirit was; how close he was to our Heavenly Father. Everything about him was perfect from his tiny toes to the hair on is head. Unfortunately right before I arrived the Bunkers learned that he is not doing well and will most likely not survive. I know the Bunkers are devastated and to make it even harder neither of them have been able to work over the past weeks puting them in a very serious financial situation. Now the thought of having to carry the burden of a funeral is looming over them. Our local church has established a fund in Nathaniel's name. Thank you to those of you who have already donated. Your monetary help and your prayers are making such a difference in the life of this little family. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have that there is more to life then what we experience here on earth. I know that Nathaniel came from the presence of our Heavenly Father and that he is one of his choice sons. I know that when he is called home he will be exalted and that Daniel and Dillon have an opportunity to be with him for all eternity if they choose to enter the temple and be sealed together as an Eternal Family. I am so thankful for my Temple marriage that that I am sealed to my family for time and all eternity. I have started a blog for Nathaniel were we can share the precious moments of his life with all of you. http://www.nathanielbunker.blogspot.com Thank you again for your prayers for little Nathaniel and if you would like to contribute to his fund please let me know so I can help direct you to the proper channels. Here are some pictures I took at the hospital.













2 comments:

Becky said...

Oh this just breaks my heart. I was wondering who you were going to visit at the hospital when we were talking on the phone. I think it is great for you to help them out. What a hard time of year to have to go through this. I will keep them in my prayers. Thanks for sharing. Love you!

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Corrine- my thoughts and prayers are with your friends and family! Lindsay my sister in law is at 21 weeks of pregnancy today and i can't even imagine if she went into labor and it couldn't be stopped and she had to be delivered now or even at 24 weeks.
You are such a sweetheart!