Monday, July 26

HEB

So I finally went to the HEB today…

For those of you non-Texans HEB is the only Grocery store in TX.  You can shop at the Super Walmart but why would you?  This is the attitude here towards HEB and just for that I decided not to like it.  I was undoubtedly going to have to pay for the amazing selection, gourmet olive bar, courtesy cookies and hand made tortilla station and daily samples.  Cheap is my middle name and I shopped at the Market Basket which is only open from 7 am to 9 pm with aisle so tiny that two carts can barely pass through. But the prices were awesome.  Therefore I have been avoiding the inevitable stop at the HEB. 

It came today when I was away from my stomping ground and needed to pick up a gallon of milk and some eggs.  It didn’t make sense to go out of my way to find the Walmart so we walked into the HEB.

I thought to myself “This is nice…but not too nice.  Hmmm maybe the prices will be ok.” They were… surprisingly so. “ I think I like this HEB.  In fact if I shop here over the Super Walmart I might actually save money.  There is nothing other then food here to tempt me.” Thus I left the HEB converted.  It is the only grocery store in TX but why not.  It is the best. 

2 comments:

RaDawn said...

We loved HEB!!! We still use a recipe from a kids cookbook we got when we lived there!

Mike and Mindy Williams said...

Oh ye of little faith :)--watch for their meat sales...Except for steak (which we didn't buy too often anyway) I almost always got chicken and pork and beef for a $1 a pound. And just wait til Crawfish season--your girls will either LOVE or totally be grossed out by the hug buckets of live Crawfish crawling all over!